A tangy and spicy apple and chilli jelly - perfect to serve with Christmas leftovers.
1.5kg Bramley apples peeled and cored
1litre fresh water
900g of granulated sugar
Juice of 2 freshly squeezed lemons
1-2 tsp chilli flakes
1. Peel, core and roughly chop the cooking apples. Put them and the water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and gently simmer, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until the apples are soft enough to crush against the side of the pan with a spoon
2. Tip the contents into a jelly bag and hang the bag over the bowl and leave it to drip – ideally overnight to catch all the juice.
3. Discard the pulp and measure the juice and pour it into a preserving pan. For every 600ml of juice, add 450g granulated sugar
4. Bring the juice and sugar to a boil, making sure the sugar is dissolved. When it has dissolved, add the lemon juice and the chilli flakes.
5. Simmer the jelly over a rolling boil, skimming off any scum that forms, for around 45 minutes or until it has reduced.
6. Test the jelly will set by spooning a little of the jelly onto a cold plate and leaving for a minute. Tip the jelly into pre sterilised jam jars and leave to set then enjoy with cold meat and cheese at Christmas.