Spiced carrot, Bramley apple and lentil soup - a tasty and warming autumn dish, which all the family will enjoy.
- 0.5 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 450 g carrots, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 125 g split red lentils
- 750 ml hot vegetable stock
- 250 ml coconut cream
- 4 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 small handful of coriander leaves
- 6 warm naan breads, to serve
Heat a large saucepan and add the chilli flakes and cumin seeds. Dry fry for a minute until they release their aroma and pop around in the pan. Remove half of the seeds and set aside.
Add the oil to the pan, stir in the carrots, apple and celery. Fry for about five minutes, and then add the lentils, stock and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes until soft.
Blend the soup until smooth, and season with salt and pepper.
To serve, spoon into bowls, add a spoon of yoghurt on top, scatter with the reserved spices, and add a few coriander leaves. Serve with warm naan bread.