A tasty pudding, delicious served hot or cold with custard or cream.
For the apple layer:
- 6 Bramley apples peeled cored and cut into thick wedges
- 110g butter
- 270g white sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the cake layer:
- 170g butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 340g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 250ml milk
The apple layer:
1. Melt the butter in a large non-stick pan.
2. Add the sugar, water and cinnamon. Cook gently over a medium heat until the mixture gets foamy, add the apples and cook until they begin to soften.
3. Transfer the apple slices to the prepared pan and pour the syrup from the pan over them.
The cake batter:
1. Preheat oven to 180c. Grease a 9x9 inch baking tray or a 10-inch round cake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well.
4. Beat in the vanilla extract.
5. Sift together the flour and baking powder.
6. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
7. Spoon the batter over the surface of the apple layer and then spread out evenly to the edges of the pan.
8. Bake at 180c for about 40 to 45 minutes.
9. Allow to cool and then turn out onto a plate to serve apple side up.